What can we do if we had an employee who admittedly set out to under bid jobs and stole material from job sites?

Asked on October 25, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Stealing is  crime: you could report the employee to the police to press charges, and also sue him/her for the value of what was stolen. You could also likely sue him or her for any other losses or costs he or she caused, such as through the deliberate underbidding.

MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue that employee for the profits you lost and materials he stole. You can also press charges against him and have him criminally charged with fraud and theft. You may wish to time your civil suit around the end of the criminal suit if you feel he can still pay or if your attorney believes resitution will be part of the criminal plea bargaining.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.