I a verbal agreement for a cell phone contract binding?

I made an verbal agreement with a friend to take her on to my cell phone contract and to pay the majority of the bill. This agreement was verbal and it stated that she would pay either the following: $60 a month to me for the data contracts on both of our phones (bill was $120 a month) or she would pay the cell phone provider directly the $60 a month. I also paid $75 towards a past owed balance for a phone contract she had exited. Can she be held liable for this verbal agreement? She was on my plan for 7 months. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Verbal contracts can indeed be cosidered binding contracts just like written contracts.  Her payment is evidence that there was this agreeemnt  - or some agreement - in place.  As long as the agreement does not violate a law known as the statute of frauds (which says that all agreement must be in writing to be binding) then you are fine.  I would look up the law in your state and gather your proof.  You may have to sue her every month for the balance of the agreement though.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.