Am I legally am obligated to pay that amount that I’m charged even if I never agreed to it?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I legally am obligated to pay that amount that I’m charged even if I never agreed to it?

About 31 months ago I did not have the money for a new computer I needed so I asked my pastor to finance it through his credit card. I told him I would pay him about $50.00 a month and he said don’t worry about it, “pay me how and when you can” and I did. I did however pay a $500.”deposit”. Recently I was on my final $50 payment and I received a letter from him saying that I was only $50 from completion but he included a P.S. stating that by not paying on time, he was charged a $452.79 fee. I don’t know if he’s charging me but if he does do I have to pay.

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that your pastor loaned you the money to get the new computer that you received and now you got a note about a $452.79 fee that he was charged, you should meet with him face to face as to this issue to resolve it.

I suspect that possibly there was some penalty assessed to the pastor for your new computer when payments by you were not made on time.

 If that is true, then you should pay the $452.79 fee in that such resulted from your purchase of the computer. It does not seem fair that the pastor should be out of pocket for your purchase of the computer you got where the pastor seemingly got no real benefit as a result.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption