Should I apply for an adjustment of status on green card or wait for a decision to be made on my petition before I apply, if my wife’s status has changed?

About 7 months ago, my wife petitioned for me as an alien relative using the form I-130. At the time, she was a permanent resident, but since then she became a U.S. citizen and the application has been upgraded accordingly to “immediate relative” classification.

Asked on November 3, 2013 under Immigration Law, Maryland


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Don't necessarily change but you can call and ask if there is a method to automatically move you. If you have an upgrade then you should be moved up the list. Contact them and see if you need to adjust or if they need to adjust your status since your wife's citizenship was granted. Immediate relative classification is a better approach but just check with your local USCIS office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.