if my dad had me sign papers about my grandfather’s Will as a minor and I wasn’t aware of what I signed until recent;y, can anything be done now?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if my dad had me sign papers about my grandfather’s Will as a minor and I wasn’t aware of what I signed until recent;y, can anything be done now?

I was around 15 when my grandfather passed away. It was when he passed that my stepgrandmother proved she married him for his money. I am now 26 and am finding out things that I wasn’t aware of when my dad had me sign papers at the age of 15. Apparently, I signed papers saying that I had no interest in my grandfather’s Trust. I am finding out now that my father and his 2 brothers made a deal with my stepgrandmother for a chunk of money now (11 years ago) for trade of all the interest in the Trust. Therefore, they made all of the grandchildren sign papers to release it to her. It hasn’t been talked about in years but my cousin, sister and I discussed it today and I found out that because I signed those papers I will never have my share of my Grandfather’s business that he would have wanted me to have, all his grandkids for that matter. So even though I had no idea what I was signing at 15 when it was signed, would there be anything I could do about it?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country a minor, (person under the age of 18 years of age) cannot legally contract with another person with respect to any matter. This would include the "release" that you have written about.

From what you have written, your release seemingly would be invalid concerning your grandfather's estate. There might be an issue concerning statute of limitations concerning your matter. I suggest that you immediately consult a Wills and trust attorney about the situation you are writing about sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption