To avoid a custody battle in the courts, could we just get a noteorized statement stating who has custody?

There is no custody order. Wish to avoid legal fees. If we can agree on an arrangement, can we just get it noteorized or do we need a judge?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can agree to the terms custody.  However, the judge has to approve it.  Depending on the circumstances, the judge may determine it is in the best interest of the child to have another arrangement.

If you have this preliminary agreement, it will save on time, money, and hostility.  Most times, judges will agree with the parents. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.