What to do if there’s an arrest warrant out for me for a felony?

I used a device illegally. When I turn myself in and get arraigned will they let me out on PR bond since I’ve been co-operative and have never been arrested before? And will I be able to plead it down to a misdemeanor?

Asked on February 2, 2013 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Jeffrey Kaplan / Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Kaplan

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The answer to your original question is simple - you have to turn yourself in or spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder until you get caught. As my colleague from California mentions, consult with an attorney. If you can't afford one, you will have to turn yourself in, get arraigned, and request one.

I don't know if you will get a PR bond for a felony. Your or your attorney will have to make the argument for it. Some of the things a judge considers when setting bond is: the severity of the crime; the likelihood of the defendant appearing in court for his hearings; the danger to the public if the defendant is freed. 

Good luck to you.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The best way to resolve the matter is to consult with a criminl defense attorney to assist. The attorney will arrange for a date to appear for the arraignment and at that time the court will decide issues as to bail. You will enter a plea presumably of not guilty. Once done, the court will set a settlement conference date where you can try and negotiate a settlement where the charge could be reduced to a misdemeanor.

Given the seriousness of the charge, I suggest you retain a criminal defense attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.