If the ceiling on my apartment fell in, what are our rights if our landlord refuses to pay for our hotel stay or the property that was ruined?

My apartment was completely uninhabitable for a week and we lost several belongings. Luckily we werent home.

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord refuse to compensate you for the hotel stay and the property that was ruined due to the ceiling issue at the rental you have, then your legal recourse is to sue him or her in small claims court for the damages that you incurred as the result of the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.