Tenant on Social Security Disability needs to move out of apt. and is 6 days shy of State of WA law of having to give 20 days notice in writing.

A 53 year old man on disability needs to move, for health reasons, is hospitalized and asks family to notify landlord as to his intention of not returning to apt. Rent is paid until the 30th and verbal notification is given on the 16th, six days short of the 20 days. Man must pay for next month rent in full and give a proper notice to vacate. Family to move tenant’s belongings and clean apt., not expecting the $250 deposit returned. Landlord states they will send the next months rent to collection if not paid. Can tenant, very limited income still be liable because of being short 6 days.

Asked on June 17, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The disabled are a protected class under the law and there are may agencies to help.   Given the circumstances it seems unreasonable what is going on but all the documents and information to fully evaluate the matter need to be reviewed by someone who knows the law in the area in which you live.  Contact the Washington State Office of Civil Legal Aid, set up to help the elderly and disabled.  Their website is ocla.wa.gov and their phone number is (888) 387-7111.  That number is for those over 60 but I am sure that they can direct you to the office that can help which depends on where you live in Washington State.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.