Supervisor/temporary manager removed me from the schedule without prior notice. Was this legal?

I was employed, full-time, by a big
coffee chain in the San Francisco Bay
Area. Before I was to leave the store, I
gave in my two weeks notice that was
to take effect on the 18th of March.
However, the last week that I was
supposed to work, the
supervisor/temporary manager
removed me from the entire week’s
schedule without prior notice. I have
evidence and a witness. What should I

Asked on May 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Under the circumstances, it was legal to not be scheduled hours to work for your last week; in fact you could have been asked to leave the premises immediately. Further, you are not entitled to pay for that week; an employer need only pay an employee for the time that was actually worked even if the employee was willing to stay. The fact is that giving a 2-week notice is a courtesy on an employee's part, however an employer need not return the courtesy. This holds true unless you had something such as an employmentcontract/union agreement which provided for different treatment or this was in violation of company policy (either written or runs counter to the way in which other employees in the same situation were treated). Also, your treatment must not have been the result of some form of legally actionable discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.