Should I have legal representation at a wage claim hearing?

I am owed unpaid wages, retirement funds, matching funds, returned check fees, and medical expenses. I have my pay stubs showing how much I earned. Pay stubs showing the retirement money being deducted from my paychecks. Medical records showing insurance coverage was dropped even though it was being deducted from what pay checks I was receiving. Returned check statement from my bank. I also have an initialed letter stating how much is owed to me when I left that job. I won’t be able to have any witnesses since everyone else still works there and is afraid of losing their job.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is always best that you have legal representation at the wage claim hearing coming up against you current or former employer for the simple fact that most likely the employer will have experienced legal counsel attending representing his, her or its interests.

I cannot emphasize the benefit of having competent legal counsel at such a proceeding. I have seen individuals representing themselves who have a good case lose due to technicalities and the inability to get documents into evidence because the proper witness needed to authenticate a document was not subpoenaed to attend trial.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.