What to do about nuisance neighbors?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about nuisance neighbors?

I have upstairs neighbors who continually make excessive noise mainly children, who my neighbor babysits for, running, stomping and playing on the floor above me. The police say that there is nothing they can do. Even though this noise is in violation of a clause of the lease and I invited him to come and listen for himself, my landlord has refused to help telling me that he has more important matters and that these tenants pay their rent on time. Do I have any civil or criminal legal recourse against the neighbor, landlord or both.

Asked on August 18, 2011 Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If the landlord refuses to do anything about the noisy neighbors who are infringing upon your peace and quiet in violation of a clause in your written lease, you have the following options:

1. Advise your landlord of the problem again in writing seeking resolution, referencing the clause in your lease, requesting a reduction in your monthly rent and perhaps reference you will be terminating your lease due to a breach of your agreement by the landlord to take care of the problem;

2. have a meeting with the noisy neighbors seeking an informal resolution of the problem;

3. if the meeting fails to accomplish what you want, bringing a nuisance action against the noisy neighbors is an option.

The problem with a nuisance action is that it is expensive and time consuming.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption