If property stolen from work vehicle and is covered by my employer’s property insurance, who pays the deductible?

I had a lot of stuff stolen from my work vehicle, roughly $11,000 worth, including my engagement ring. The company property insurance policy covers up to $15,000 but there is a $5,000 deductible. Am I responsible to cover the deductible or should the company cover the deductible and I should receive the full value of my losses?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Insurance Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If all of the property that was stolen from your company vehicle was yours, then you should pay the full deductible of such loss.

If company property and your own personal property were stolen from the vehicle than you and your employer should pay a percentage of the deductible to the insurance comoany based upon the ratio of personal loss in comparison to total loss with respect to the $5,000 deductible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.