Once a surrender form is notarized, are there other requirements to finalize the process before going through with the adoption?

My daughter’s biological father has agreed to sign over all rights so my husband can adopt her. I’m not sure if I still have to go through the court to have a voluntary surrender finalized or if a notary is enough.

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Even though your daughter's biological father has had his signature notraized on a surrender form for the adoption of your daughter by your husband, there still is required to be a petition filed in the county court house where you reside with service of the petition on all interested parties before the adoption is finalized.

In essence the court must have a hearing on the petition and issue an order approving it to be filed with the court clerk. I suggest that you consult further with a family law attorney about the matter you are writing about for further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.