What to do if my 21 year old son was arrested today for resisting arrest, obstruction and carrying a concealed weapon?

He was stopped for no plates. The office followed him with lights on for a few blocks, my son turned on his turn signal and drove slow to first turn off busy street.The officer asked him why he didn’t stop immediatly and my son explained he thought he had to get off the main road., and the officer began to search the car. He refused a search. Officer asked if any weapons, my son mentioned a collectors knife in the back seat. He was cuffed, and resisted slightly, slammed into car requiring stitches. We have no money for attorney fees and don’t know if he needs one. I feel like he won’t have a chance with a public defender.

Asked on November 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the seriousness of the matter that you have written about I suggest that your son consult with a criminal defense attorney or a public defender to assist in the matter that you have written about. I caution that it would be foolish for him to attend court matters without a defense attorney to represent him in some capacity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.