If my work environment has become intolerable, o I have a case for unemployment if I quit?

I feel I have reached a breaking point at my job. I morally oppose many of the task I had been requested/made to do in the past year, including forging a signature on a document and tax evasion along with other questionable business practices. The latest problem is a death threat from another employee in the form of a mock noose hanging in the doorway of our small office. I cannot afford to be without income, but the current threat combined with past issues has me extremely uncomfortable at work. If I quit, do I have a case to receive unemployment based on these conditions?

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Potentially you may have a claim for constructive termination and be qualified for unemployment benefits. However, you need to document the hostile work environment better from your perspective with conferences and e mails to your supervisor and human resources department about the problems at work, your concerns and fears.

Keep a copy of the letters and e mails for future reference and need. Thereafter, consult with an attorney that practices in the area of employment law to give you guidance as to how you should proceed with work and your question. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.