If my wife came here on a K-1 visa and we married and now want to change her status, will she be deported if we don’t do it before the expiration date?

Asked on March 22, 2012 under Immigration Law, Florida


Gene Meltser, Esq. / BIRG & MELTSER

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, she will not. She had 90 days to marry, andyour you have to file a full adjustment package, including I-130 and I-485. But she will not be deported while you are preparing the documents even if her K visa is expired. It is good practice however to keep her in status and file ASAP. I will be glad to help. Contact me at meltser@bmlaw.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.