If my wife and I have been separated for 10 months but I moved out of state 7 months ago, where do I file for divorce?

Asked on November 12, 2015 under Family Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file either in the state in which you are a resident or in the state in which your wife has residency. Since these residency requirements vary from state-to-state, you can google the information for both states involved. That should give you all of the information that you need. If not, then directly consyult with a divorce attroeny in your area. That having been said, after 7 months, you are most probably a resident of the state in which you now live and you may find it preferable to file there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.