If my wife and daughter were in head-on collision and my insurer wants me to sign a HIPA release and a PIP benefits claim, do I go ahead and sign this or wait to speak to attorney?

A vehicle crossed over into their lane.

Asked on October 29, 2015 under Personal Injury, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The two documents that they are asking you to sign sound like typical personal injury documents.  One is so they can obtain access to medical information so they can process the claim.  The second is a document that tells them you are formally wanting to file a personal injury claim.  So... fairly standard documents... however...
It seems like there is something in the wording or this process that is making your uncomfortable.  Even though these sound like standard documents, someone would need to actually review them to make sure that neither includes a limitiation or release of any claims that you intend to make.  Many insurance companies will be honorable in this process--- however, if you do have concerns, wait until you show them to an attorney to review. 
When you are looking for any attorney, make sure that you are setting up a meeting with an actual attorney.  You do want an attorney that routinely handles personal injury and car wreck cases... but you don't want to be stuck talking to a mere paralegal to review your documents.  Many "Personal injury mills" routinely use paralegals in place of attorneys.  Just know who you are talking to and their creditials so that you are actually obtaining legal advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.