My tenant installed a trampoline in an unfenced yard without my permission. How do I go about removing the trampoline?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This probably depends on a number of things.  I'm not an Illinois attorney, but if the tenant is in an apartment, in a building with several dwelling units, you are probably within your rights to remove it, although I'd give the tenant at least 24 hours to do that himself.  If this is a single family home with a yard that is being rented, it's probably a little more complicated.

I completely understand your concern, of course.  Someone could easily get hurt on the trampoline, and sue you as the owner of the property.

Whatever the situation, I would strongly recommend that you talk to an attorney in your area about this, absolutely as soon as possible, and ideally before doing anything more than giving your tenant a written notice to remove the trampoline.  The attorney may well want to see your lease with the tenant, if there is one.  One place you can find a qualified lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.