What do we do if my son is accused of delivering a controlled substance a year ago?

He now lives in another state. He is required to be present for the court appearance. Does he need to hire a lawyer or will he be appointed a public defender? He is currently unemployed and attending college.

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you son is accused of delivering a controlled substance he needs to consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent him with respect to the matter you have written about. Under no circumstances should he be allowed to consult with law enforcement without a criminal defense attorney representing him.

Whether or not he will be appointed a public defender depends upon whether he qualifies for such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.