My son fell from shopping cart in store.

My son fell from a shopping cart in a grocery store, he simply lost his balance while resituating himself. I don’t know who called the paramedics, and when they got there my son seemed okay and I told them I did not need their help. The manager of the store interjected and insisted I allow him to be taken to the ER to make sure he was okay. The store originally said they would pay the bills, but now they seem to be changing their mind. What should I do?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can start by contacting the paramedics (agency) that came to the scene and took your son to the ER.  Most units these days have a form report for each call, and you should be able to get a copy for a small fee.  That report will at least enable you to get the names of the paramedics themselves, as witnesses if necessary, and with a little luck there will be something in the report that backs up your version of the event with the manager insisting on the ER visit.  You can send a copy to the store, to try and "encourage" them to pay the bills.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.