If I entered the US illegally 10 years ago and am trying to become naturalized through my parents, is there anyway that I can apply for my residency and not be asked to return to my home country?

My parents became US citizens through the naturalization process. I tried applying but I was told I had to go back and wait to see whether or not I was approved.

Asked on December 7, 2015 under Immigration Law, North Carolina


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

How old are you?  How old were you when your parents naturalized? How and when did you last enter the US?  If you were unlawfully present in the US or entered the US unlawfully, you are not eligible to automatically become a US citizen or LPR.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.