What can I do if I bought a used car from a dealer and I had problems right off the bat?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I bought a used car from a dealer and I had problems right off the bat?

I brought it in multiple times about the transmission shifting wrong and at first they denied anything wrong until their mechanic told me the valve body in the transmission needed to be replaced. I took in for other problems too. Supposedly the car had been inspected and was certified pre-owned. Again the dealer denied anything wrong so I drove straight there and demanded to speak with their service manager and had their mechanic tell him what part needed to be replaced and that the part had to be ordered directly from the car manufacturer. They put a used part from another car.

Asked on March 8, 2012 under General Practice, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you purchased a used car from an auto dealer and have had repeated problems with it where the dealership has not acted to your satisfaction in getting the car repaired and in responding to your questions, you have the following options:

1. contact an attorney that practices in the area of automotive law concerning your legal options including whether or not you should cancel your purchase of the car and get your money back;

2. contact your state's department of motor vehicles about the dealership. This entity is in charge of fielding consumer complaints concerning automotive dealerships.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption