What to do if my mother’s boyfriend stole my boyfriend’s memory card containing photos of me nude and posted them to a social media site?

I feel absolutely violated, disgusted and confused. The pictures were taken when I was of age but also when I was underage.

Asked on August 22, 2015 under Criminal Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1 You can report him to the police stealing something is a theft, a crime. Stealing a memory card is theft as much as would be stealing a $20 bill. The police may be able to get the card back, or at least out of his hands.
2 If he does post any underage pictures of you, you could of course report him to the authorities for child pornography.
3 If posts adult nude photos of you, but did so having stolen them, you may be able to sue him invasion of privacy.
Yes, if you see anything posted, definitely take and save a screen shot as evidence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.