How do I file a complaint with the FTC on a UDAP?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file a complaint with the FTC on a UDAP?

I purchased a vehicle from a used car lot 4 months ago. Since I have purchased this car, it has broken down on me numerous times. The first incident was a title issue. The title papers showed a VIN that was issed to a salvaged vehicle. The owner of the lot claimed the number was taken off the door of the vehicle and that door must have come off of a salvage vehicle. Shorlly after the vehicle overheated and had to be towed back to the dealer. The vehicle has already gon through two tires becauswe it needs a wheel alignment. Now the vehicle needs a coil and converts.

Asked on May 29, 2012 under General Practice, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would not be filing a complaint with the Federal trade Commissions with respect to the car that you purchased from a dealer under the Unfair Deceptive Acts or Practices Act (UDAP).

Rather your best recourse would be to file a grievance with your local department of motor vehicles under this act since the department of motor vehicles is in charge of investigating and regulating claims against automotive dealerships.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption