How can I find out if I have a criminal record?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out if I have a criminal record?

Back when I was 16 I got caught stealing at a store the total loss was over $500. I got caught and they called the police and I was arrested, taken to jail and fingerprints were taken. The officer that arrested me ended up being a friend of my dads after the jailing process he released me and I remember getting a letter in the mail asking to pay a a fine about $700. I never went to court or anything. I think I paid to the dept store directly but I’m not sure. I will travel to Canada net month and I am so scared that they might not let me into the country because of this. Is there anyway this is not on my record since I never went to court?

Asked on August 22, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can contact the California Dept of Justice and order copies of your criminal records.  I believe you will also have to submit and pay for a live scan fingerprint application, too. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption