What to do of my mother willed me and my brother her home that I have lived in my whole life but he hasn’t contributed anything to it and wants to make me sell?

I’ve been paying and owing everything or this home. How do I get him off the Will?

Asked on August 26, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I so sorry for ypur loss and for the Situation.   You can not remove him from being in the will.  But maybe you can buy h out of his share of the house. You have equal rights and I  afraid he can force the issue with the sale in an action For partition. So see if you can try and work out a purchase. Deductions can be made for repairs and payments made by you on his behalf. Get help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.