Can I sue or get a refund for a concert I cannot attend due to a hurricane?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue or get a refund for a concert I cannot attend due to a hurricane?

I had $450 worth of tickets to a concert tonight but due to a hurricane I cannot attend. The concert was not cancelled, however, they did cancel the concert for tomorrow night and rescheduled it. With NY York, CT and MA declaring states of emergency, and mass transit shut downs and road closures, as well as fearing for my own safety, I cannot attend. The promoters and/or the performer should have cancelled or rescheduled the show like they did for tomorrow night. Do I have any recourse to recoup my money; there are many other people aas well.

Asked on August 27, 2011 New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you had tickets for a concert that was not cancelled by the promoters but which you were unable to attend due to inclimate weather conditions, you are not entitled to a refund for the unused tickets. The reason is that the concert that was scheduled for the date set on your tickets went forward as planned. You were unable to attend.

As far as refund policies as well as other obligations for the tickets for the concert, read the back of the ones you still have in your possession. Most likely there is language setting forth the obligations of the concert promoter if the concert was cancelled and refund policies.

From what you have written, it does not appear that you have any recourse for getting a refund for the concert tickets you paid for and were unable to attend the venue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption