What to do if my minor child received a ticket for careless driving with a “must appear” court date and we appeared but the court was not prepared?

It did not even have record of the citation. We left, with a promise from the court it would contact us and there wouldn’t be any problems with “failure to appear”. The court contacted me later that day to say that the issuing officer works nights and would not be able to find anything out until the following Monday. This was almost 2 weeks ago, and we have heard nothing from the court, or the officer.

Asked on October 10, 2013 under Accident Law, Wyoming


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. You would be wise to confer privately with an attorney. Delays as you describe, in Minnesota, particularly in the major cities' areas, are not uncommon. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily

[email protected]


Minnesota Law Firm


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Let sleeping dogs lie.  It sounds like you child's citation got lost in the shuffle and s/he probably has therefore escaped paying a fine.  Just make sure you document everything that happens, so that if it does come back to bite your child, you will have kept records of everything that actually happened.  If it does not pop back up after your child is no longer a minor that should not cause any repercussions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.