What to do if my landlord hired a sex-offender to secure my house?

I complained to my landlord that none of the windows in the house I rented from him would lock. He sent a man over to fix the windows. The man called ahead of time and told me he had a key so he could take care of it while I was out but I didn’t feel comfortable with that; I made him wait until I was home. He has since been back several times, and continues to find other projects to work on. Meanwhile, I just realized he’s a sex offender with a history of abusing kids. I’m a single mom with an 8 year old and 7 months left on my lease. I no longer feel safe here. What can I do?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, if you are uncomforatble with a registered sex offender securing your home on behalf of the landlord you need to advise him or her of the concerns that you have in writing and keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. The best way is to work with the landlord to try and resolve your concerns.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.