If my face was broken while I was in jail and the doctor never saw me, can I sue because the center refused to take me to the hospital?

UPDATED: May 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my face was broken while I was in jail and the doctor never saw me, can I sue because the center refused to take me to the hospital?

I was finally I was bonded out so I could get medical help. My case is being dismissed.

Asked on May 19, 2014 under Personal Injury, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you suffered some additional injuries or cost due to the refusal to promptly take you for medical care--say, for example, that because you did not get immediately treatment, it will cost you more money in out-of-pocket (not paid by Medicare, Medicaid, or health insurance) medical costs to fix the damage, or you will have some lingering effects (like scarring) that you would not have had if you'd had prompt treatement--then you could potentially sue for those additional costs or suffering. But only for the additional cost or suffering, if any, caused by the delay; if not taking you had no real effect other than you maybe suffering additional pain for a few hours, then there's no point in suing; without signficant additional injuries or costs caused directly by the delay, you could not recover enough compensation to make a lawsuit worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption