If my children’s father had a pending case for a car accident before he passed away, is there anyway our kids can represent him for that case?

There’s also an estate involved where now my kids father family is claiming that

my kids are minors and can’t represent their father. Is there anyway that I can

represent my kids if their father and I weren’t married?

Asked on September 15, 2016 under Estate Planning, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can represent your kids by being appointed guardian ad litem.  Since the kids are minors, they can't represent themselves or file a lawsuit.  A guardian ad litem is a guardian appointed by a court to protect the legal rights of the minor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.