What to do if my husband’s ex-girlfriend claimed that she has a son with him?

However, this claim was made through one online message and she hasn’t responded to my husband’s message since. He gave her his phone number and she has not called us, either. She has proven to be dishonest in the past. My husband and I are moving out of state soon, so I’d like to know what our legal recourse is? We don’t have any money to pay child support but I’d like the peace of mind from knowing whether my husband has a son out there or not.

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the ex-girlfriend says he's dad, and escpecially if she's put it in writing through an online message that the child is his, he file a paternity suit and request the court to order DNA testing.  If the tests came back positive, he would know for sure if he was the father of the child or not... but know that with this type of suit almost always come some level of a child support obligation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.