How long do i have to sue the driver

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do i have to sue the driver

When i was 7 i just turned 19 now. When
i was 7 i was hit by a car in a cross
walk i went flying 30 feet major head
trauma air lifted to rochester mn. Broke
my leg and had a personality change
everyone says. Im curiuos if i can
still do anything about it my parents
never did it they said when i was an
adult i could.

Asked on April 3, 2019 under Personal Injury, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you are now 19, it appears to be too late. Normally, a lawsuit for personal injuury in your state (e.g. a car accident) must be brought within 6 years of the injury. If you were as a minor, you have one year after you turn adult (turn 18) to bring the suit--that is, you'd have had to have filed the lawsuit before you turned 19.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption