If my husband refuses to leave so I plan to leave and live with my sister, is this a wise financial decision if planning divorce?

I own the home.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Family Law, Virginia


David Lee / Law Offices of David Lee

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you own the home, you certainly have no obligation to vacate the marital home.  Without more information, I cannot say if this is a wise financial situation, because it may be intolerable to live with your husband.  However, if you file a petition for dissolution of marriage, you can file a motion for exclusive possession of the home.  If the Judge grants your motion, your husband may be ordered to vacate the home.

For more information on Divorce, visit my website at:


David Lee

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.