Should I have a lawyer to negotiate with a contractors insurance company for damages to the possessions in my apartment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I have a lawyer to negotiate with a contractors insurance company for damages to the possessions in my apartment?

Contractor was replacing a roof on my apartment building and didn’t cover it properly and it rained damaging everything in my apartment. Now I’m in a hotel why different contractors gut my apartment, ceiling to floor.

Asked on May 30, 2019 under Insurance Law, Rhode Island


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the contractors caused the damage, they are liable: people and businesses are liable for (have to pay for) the damage they do to others' belongings, and costs they cause others to incur, due to their negligence or carelessness. If neither they nor their insurer will voluntarily offer you a fair amount, retain an attorney to help you: the lawyer can negotiate, threaten legal action to try to get a favorable response, and sue if necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption