If my husband of 35 years is asking for a divorce and I have agreed to go for counseling but he will not, what steps should I be taking to protect myself?

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that your spouse does not believe counseling is worthwhile to help save your marriage you should consider that he will file a petition for a marital dissolution. As such, in order to protect your interests, you should consult with a family law attorney as to what your legal rights and options are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.