What to do if my husband locked me out of the house?

Every time I turned the key he locked the door. I broke the window after begging him to open the door. I got in went to the bedroom tried to get out of house clothing because I was about to leave home to study he tore 2 sets of lclothes off , ran for a battery for car starterhe removed it and tried to get in my car. He tried to choked me in the car, I called 911 and I was arrested because I broke the window. I can no longer go to the house not even to get my asthma medication . What do I do from here?

Asked on September 25, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you should consult with a family law attorney to discuss your current marital situation and to discuss what you wish to do with it. Legal separation? Petition to dissolve the marriage? Marital counseling?

Given what you have written given your arrest you also need to consult with a criminal defense attorney as well.

As to your needed medication, I suggest that you call your physician and request a refill.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.