What to do if my husband is working with a company on a government contract over 1000 miles from home and his accomodations are dirty and unsafe?

The company has reduced their perdiem below the rate and put him in an empty apartment with a $500 furnishing allowance. The apartment is in a very high crime area (shootings and roberies) and is filled with roaches. When the crew raised saftey issues the company told them to deal with it. Is there anything the crew can do legally?

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Montana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that your husband and other co-employees make a complaint to human resources of the company that they are working for as well as let a governmental representative know about the unsafe living conditions they are forced to be in while away from home. Such will get the attention of the employer.

A call to the local representative for the department of labor will also get some results.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.