If myhusband has moved somewhere out-of-state, how can I get a divorce when I don’t know where he lives or how to get in touch with him?

We have been separated for over 2 years. I have his last address in TN but have no idea where he is now. I have his e-mail address and have attempted to send him the uncontested divorce papers that way, but have had no response in over 4 months. What can I do?

Asked on July 18, 2010 under Family Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Although you don't know your husband's current address, you can still serve the divorce documents by publication.  Service by publication consists of running a legal notice in your newspaper.  The period of time the notice runs may vary from state to state to be considered effective service by publication.  Your local court or perhaps the newspaper can provide you with that information.  Although your husband might not see the legal notice, this is still considered valid service providing notice that you are filing for divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.