What to do if my husband entered the US as a child and returned to his country without his family when he was 19 but now wants to return?

He has been outside of the US for 3 years. We have been married for 2 1/2 years and have a child who is a US citizen. If I were to return to the US and try to get his papers processed so he can return, how long would it take? Also, would a K3 visa be an option for him? And what is likelihood that a wavier would be approved for him if one is necessary?

Asked on January 29, 2013 under Immigration Law, Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is consult with an immigration attorney or if not, the local United States consulate where you reside and get a visa for your husband to return to the United States with you since he is married to an American citizen. Upon arrival, consult with the nearest immigration department near you to get the application for permanent residency of your husband set up since he is married to an American citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.