If my husband and I are about to separate and the situation is volatile so I need to get out, will I lose my equity in the house if I leave?

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


Michael Gainer / Michael J. Gainer, Attorney At Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely not.  Often the mature and safe thing to do is to leave before things get worse.  Best to talk to an attorney in your area to discuss the issues.  You may need to file a divorce or legal separation action to get temporary orders regarding who will stay in the house and pay the bills.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.