What are my rights to recover from a car accident when the other person is at fault when we didn’t file a police report, but exchanged information?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to recover from a car accident when the other person is at fault when we didn’t file a police report, but exchanged information?

Hello, I was involved in a minor car accident back in April of 2009. The guilty party rear-ended me at a yield sign while I was slowly pulled up to it and stopped. The other driver and I pulled off to the side, exchanged information including insurance info and we did not file a police report. We did not do so because the accident was minor, no one was injuried, and the other driver made a promise to pay for my damages. I have five witnesses to the accident saying the other driver was at fault. I got two quotes on the damages and I told the other drive of this and he said he would get me the m

Asked on June 6, 2009 under Accident Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming the rest of the message is he said he would pay and hasn't? You don't need a police report to file a lawsuit.  So, you take the eyewitness reports (were they notarized), call your insurance company and take it from there.  Your insurance company may simply pay you and then sue the other's insurance company or hire a lawyer on your behalf to sue.

If the accideent is not your fault, your insurance company rates should not go up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption