Howcana beneficiaryspeed up the probate process?

In November, it will be 2 years since my grandmother died. She won the lottery before her death and left all of her winnings to us 7 grandkids. The exectutor of her Will did not want to be involved in that trust, and we had to sign the power of the trust to the attorney in charge of distributing the lottery money. This was in 08/09 and we still have not received anything from the lawyer in TX. He says that they are waiting on a judge to sign something and then he will be able to dispurse the money. How long does this really take and is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your loss.  The probating of a Will can take time depending on how complicated things are.  The lawyer in Texas is the one in charge of the Trust for the lottery proceeds?  What about the "regular" probate?  They should be traveling on the same path.  Remember, though, that beneficiaries of a Will or a Trust have the right to inquire as to the status of the matter. So  inquire away, formally (in writing) and ask when the accounting will be filed.  You can and should go down to court to review the probate of the Will as well and check the status.  If you are not getting any satisfaction you should seek help from an attorney to inquire for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.