What can I do if my grandmother had life insurance listing me as beneficiary but someone apparently fraudulently claimed the proceeds?

I called today about it and was told they mailed me a check 6 months ago. However, I not received a check, nor even made any prior attempt to claim the insurance proceeds. They will not issue me any paperwork as to whom signed etc. without filing charges but law enforcement say it is not their jurisdiction.

Asked on July 18, 2014 under Business Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may need to go to legal process to get the information form the insurer: for example, you can issue a subpoena to them for the information or, if necessary, file a lawsuit against them (e.g. for breach of contract--they did not provide the money they were supposed to) and then use the process of "discovery" (legal tools in a lawsuit which let one party get information from the other) to obtain this. You should speak with an attorney about your options and which would be the fastest and most cost-effective at this juncture.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.