If my fiance is an American and we’re planning to get married but I currently practice abroad, can I get married and still be able to work abroad for a couple of months until I relocate to the US?

Asked on November 23, 2015 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the process of getting a foreign national spouse to the US through a fiance visa or spouse visa takes about 12 months and even once you have a visa granted, the visa is valid for a few months so you can take care of whatever business you have overseas before entering the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.