If my late father owned real estate in another county and I have possession of the warranty/quit claim deeds, how do I go about transferring the properties into my name?

Also, must I do this for property tax reasons or can the properties stay deeded as they are?

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about your matter before recording the presumed signed warranty/quitclaim deed by your father with the county recorder's office where the real estate is owned.

If your late father gave you the property in his Will or trust, then you might wish to probate the estate or administer the trust where you would get a stepped up basis on the property which will benefit you with respect to tax issues in the event you wish to sell it later on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.