What do we need to do if my father passed away without a Will and we are receiving inquiries about his estate?

The family is unaware of a Will; there was not one registered at the register of deeds office in the county in which he lived.

Asked on June 7, 2014 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If a person dies with out a Will it is called dying "intestate" and the intestacy laws of the state will govern the distribution of their assets.  A person must be named as the Personal Representative of the estate and that person or persons will be in charge of the estate. What do you mean "inquiries?"  From whom?  Creditors or potential heirs?  It may be a good idea for you speak with an attorney. Here is the citation for the statute.  Good luck.

 Title 31 Descent And Distribution, Chapter 2, Intestate Succession) 31-2-104. Share of surviving spouse and heirs

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.