My family has been threatened by my daughter’s boyfriend who has been in and out of jail for aggravated assault numerous times. What can I do?

She has tried to break it off, but he is stalking her and my family now. I need a good lawyer to consult with about this situation. Can you recommend one in the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee?

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Personal Injury, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Before getting a lawyer, go the police--NOW. It sounds like there is a real risk of physical harm or assault--you need to make the police aware, so they can help provide protection. (Also making physical threats is against the law; they may even pick up or arrest the ex-boyfriend, especially if he happens to be on probation or parole at present and is violating the terms.) They will also be able to give you general guidance on other options, such as getting a protective order. After talking to the police, then look for a lawyer who can help with applying for a protective order or any other such legal steps. But don't wait--go to the police immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.